Whenever we sit down to visit with new clients about the most important things for them to pass down to the following generations, we hear about values, faith, family stories and life lessons. Occasionally we hear about a personal possession with a strong emotional value. Inevitably it takes a while to come around to financial assets and real estate.
What is money for?
How do you view your wealth?
What is your obligation to the younger generation, and to the world at large?
Top of mind for many of Rodman & Associates’ clients is “how do we raise charitable offspring”?
Philanthropy is a powerful tool for strengthening family ties. This Thanksgiving season, let charity begin at home.
Wondering where to start? Actively seek volunteer opportunities that allow the entire family to participate:
- Hold a family-wide garage sale and donate all the proceeds to charity
- Form a Family Giving Circle with a group of friends: each family contributes a pre-determined amount to the pooled fund and working together, over the course of a few weeks, determine where that money will go
- If you are fortunate enough to have a Turkey Trot in your community, sign up as a family today
- Clean your neighborhood park, greenbelt or school yard
- Deliver meals or pizza to an affordable housing complex; it is nice to include a gift card to the neighborhood grocery store for those favorite items and treats.
www.createthegood.org offers a feature that allows you to search for volunteer activities by zip code and time frame. Be sure to apply the Family Friendly filter!